Monday, June 6, 2011

I think my phone is self-aware...

...and apparently, it hates me.  Perhaps, when I'm not paying attention, my phone (a unnamed brand that that has an operating system that rhymes with an-schmroid) has been communicating with my TiVo, and it doesn't appreciate my viewing habits.  Maybe it has a grudge against Disney, since all we watch now is Monsters, Inc. and Little Einsteins?  Maybe it's reading my emails and has decided that I'm getting too much spam?  Maybe it's the fact that when one of the girls get hold of my phone, it goes straight into her mouth?

I don't know the reasons, but without a doubt, my phone has decided to become my Moriarty-like nemesis.  Apparently, I've been too cavalier in my expectations for my wave-of-the-future smartphone--expecting it to do things like function normally.  I also have the unrealistic hope that I can hit the home button and then the phone will actually go back to the home screen and allow me to make a phone call without having to wait for 45 seconds.  I know, I'm a demanding phone owner.

I don't use any applications anymore.  It's not that I'm not jealous of Anna and her i*Phone, because I definitely am.  I totally want a phone that I can use for applications.  I tried applications for a while on my phone--use of said applications somehow caused it to operate even worse than it does now.  I've since removed all non-necessary applications, reset the phone to factory, and I pull the battery every other day.  This allows the phone to barely function.  It's like I have the cellular equivalent of a AMC Gremlin in my pocket.

Maybe it's that all my expectations are smothering my phone.  I need to understand that my phone can't live the buttoned-up lifestyle I expect of it--it's a free spirit that has decided to embrace the American dream of doing its job badly, but not so much that I'll throw it out the window.  So now, I wait for my upgrade.  I've tried three times, unsuccessfully, to upgrade early (my normal upgrade cycle comes up in July).  Each time I've gone to the cell store, I show them my phone, tell them that it mocks me daily, and then they nod and say, "Yep."  They clearly know that my phone is against me, but it seems there's nothing they can do.  So, now I wait--my phone plotting against me.  At least I have the comfort of knowing that it will never do anything, because that would require a little effort.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I think the folks at the store know that it is evil, and they are afraid to make it mad by replacing it. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

jesdickens said...

I have a similar problem with my phone that isn't quite incredible anymore. I hate to leave the google family though because I love it's uniquity. Iphone wasn't available when I was shopping within the Verizon network and I loved my iPod touch's user friendliness. The less-than-incredible was as similar as I could find. The punch is--it was INCREDIBLE when I first had it.. maybe I too need to reset to factory default to eliminate such problems as an inability to dial or pull up the apps page without going a backdoor way. I also have to turn it off at random times because it chooses to freeze.