Monday, April 7, 2008

Doctor, Doctor, give me the news. I've got...

...an eye infection. Not me--sorry to confuse--but Addie. Saturday night, Addie's eye starting crusting over with gunk. This is not the first eye-gunk incident that Addie has experienced. Her first couple of days in the world, Addie generated a couple of sizable eye boogers. I thought that this second bout of eye trouble was more of the same, but just to be safe, Anna called the pediatrician, and she told us that this more-prominent eye issue was more than likely a clogged tear duct which had led to an eye infection (the gunk was greenish-yellow, which according to Crayola is the color of infection). So Addie is now on antibiotic eye drops. Bummer.

Unfortunately, we had to call the on-call doctor on Saturday night, after we had just been at the doctor on Friday for Addie's two-week checkup--which was a shocking event. Get this, I met Anna at the doctor's office for Addie's two-0'clock appointment. I arrived exactly at two, and somehow, against all the laws of the Universe that I have yet to encounter when it comes to doctors, Anna and Addie were called back exactly at two--the precise time of their appointment. This was a tremendous shock to me. I imagine that the small cadre of doctors who meet at the AMA's Annual Conference to Determine Suitable Wait Times (the AMAACDSWT! Mark your calendar!) are now quaking in their collective boots, knowing that one doctor's office, against all protocol has allowed a patient to come back on time and be treated immediately. This does not bode well for the company that delivers the five-year old magazines that are placed in medical waiting rooms. How, if I don't have to wait in the waiting room for at least half an hour, will I ever catch up on who will win the World Series in the 2002 season (Go Brewers!)?

Well, it turns out that Addie's appointment went really well. She's gained a pound and grown three-quarters of an inch since she was born. Also, her little umbilical stump (the kryptonite to my changing diapers--I have yet to change on, as that little black thing of dead skin really freaked me out) fell off. So, besides the eye-gunk flare up on Saturday, Addie seems to be healthy. As much as I can make light of it now, I was really relieved to get her through her first appointment relatively unscathed. I say unscathed, because they had to prick Addie's heel, which led to the saddest moment of my life--seeing my daughter in pain. I can't wait for shots...

No comments: