Monday, May 30, 2011

Socks

Addie was standing in the living room while I was sitting in our recliner holding Audrey Kate.  Addie picked up one of my thick, wool socks and pulled it over her arm like a sock puppet.  The difference for Addie, is that the sock goes all the way up to her armpit, so it definitely covers her whole arm.  Addie, excitedly, began to run around the room, holding her be-socked arm in the air.

"Addie, is your arm a sock?"  I ask her.  She immediately stops running and looks at me.  "I'm not a sock!  I'm Addie!" and then she pulls the sock off her arm.  I didn't offend her--her tone was not confrontational at all--that's what was so funny about it.  Her response was about as matter-of-fact as you could get.  How do I respond?

"I know you're Addie, I was just talking about the sock you had on your arm."  She stares at me blankly and then squeals, "Silly Daddy!" and runs to her room.  I only wish I could have these kind of conversations in my normal, adult life.  It would make things much more interesting.

Supervisor: "Is that the proposal you've been working on?"
Me: "I'm not a proposal. I'm Paul!"
Supervisor: "Uh....I know, but I was just going to see if you would..."
Me (running away giggling): "Silly supervisor!"

If only...

No comments: