Wednesday, March 19, 2008

So, I have a daughter now

It's Wednesday night, March 19th, which for me, will forever be known as my daughter's birthday. I'm simultaneously thrilled, exhausted, apprehensive, and incredibly overwhelmed. I find it hard to believe that I'm now responsible for every facet of the life and care of the little person sleeping in our hospital room.

And while the new-found responsibility is humbling and awesome, probably the most lasting impression of the day is that I now know that I was woefully unprepared for the visuals that childbirth would present to me. Some things do not need to be blogged about in detail, and I will not do so here. But, as I need to report my impressions of the event, I will sum it up in one word--ew. The fact that something so beautiful can come from something so nasty is absolutely amazing...but really--ew. Anything I have ever seen in any horror movie to date does not compare to the reality of childbirth. Perhaps the next Saw movie will feature a torture victim escaping from the womb, because--ew. Seriously...ew.

All kidding aside, though, I wanted to devote a paragraph to Addie in the hope that she will one day read this. Addie, you have torn down my life as I understood it, and rebuilt it in a way that I never could have imagined. All of this, you did in a matter of seconds when you first looked into my eyes, and I saw the glimmer of recognition in yours. I love you more than I could have possibly understood yesterday, and I know that, somehow, I will love you more tomorrow. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that you are the greatest accomplishment of my life.

Cheers to all.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So very happy for you guys, Paul! We may be calling on you to use your powers of blog-inducement in the coming weeks. Please tell Anna and Addie that we are praying for you guys.

Russell & Mariah said...

Dude, congratulations! It's been a looooong time, but I read about your little girl on Jmac's blog. How awesome she must be! I wish you and your family all the best!

TimT said...

I'm so happy for you and Anna. There's no greater feeling then having daughter. At least until the first time she says "I Love You Daddy". Nothing will melt your heart more than those simply words. She'll put you thru the ringer and make you tired; but what a wonderful tired it is!

Again, Congrats!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Anna and Paul! Addie, Welcome to this world!!!
Our prayers are with you all.
cheers...

Holla said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow! An arrow for your quiver. Congratulations, Paul and Anna!

Uromastyx said...

Congrats!

But seriously, this thread is worthless without pictures!