Monday, April 27, 2009

The Dentist

No, Addie's not quite ready to go to her first dentist appointment yet. Today was Anna's and my turn to have our gums stabbed repeatedly...er, I mean, have our teeth cleaned. We've started scheduling our dentist appointments back-to-back as it allows us both to get our appointments out of the way, while the other keeps Addie in the lobby. Normally, you would think this post would be about Addie's lobby freakout; however, she was great today. We brought plenty of toys, which kept her happily occupied. I'm glad that I was able to distract her, because the dentist had the Disney Channel playing on their "kids area" TV.

I don't know if you've watched the Disney Channel lately, but when did Disney go from light-hearted cartoons to targeting pre-teens with soap opera facsimilies that are somehow dumber and more poorly acted (and that's saying something)? I don't really think Addie cares much about what's on TV right now, and for that I'm glad. Anna and I walked in toward the end of an episode of some show (although it might have been a movie) where some girl was apparently trying to be queen of some sort of dance, or something. Nothing too far afield there--that could practically be Teen Wolf. But here's where things get weird, that same girl trying to be queen or whatnot, was apparently being advised by herself, as a separate character--meaning there were two of her on the screen at once. Therefore, I am led to believe that this poor girl is either a) mentally ill or b) pursued by a devious doppelganger who is making constant mischief in her life. Why would I want to subject my child to such horrors? Why can't we just watch Sleeping Beauty or The Rescuers?

Fortunately, I didn't have too much time to think about why that Disney show ended with the girl--now doppelganger-free--dropping a host of "Save the Whales" flyers on her fellow dance goers (it really was that weird...if I saw this late at night I would have sworn I dreamed it) because I got called back for my appointment. And who doesn't love a good dentist appointment? Seriously, does anyone not absoultely hate going to the dentist--does anyone leave the office thinking, "now that was refreshing?" Because there I am, laying on a chair while my hygenist is--as far as I can tell--trying to drill for oil in my gums, all the while asking me the most unrelated, random questions possible. It was like she had a Wheel of Fortune wheel in her head that had a subject of conversation on each slice...."Internet security," to "rural Montgomery," to "my mother won't take her medicine" all in the span of two minutes, with me being unable to reply as I'm face deep in dental instruments.

At least my appointment came out clean. No cavities, and not another appointment for six months. And if you're anything like me, as soon as you leave the dentist with a clean bill of health it's like you got a stay of execution from the Governor. So, now I don't need to brush for at least three months....I'm kidding, I probably won't go for more than two weeks.

No comments: